Thursday, March 5, 2009

3 strikes your out!!!!

There is been some whining from one child and talking back from another child here at this old house. More than I am willing to put up with, I must admit. Parenting dilemmas like this seem to throw me for a bit of a loop.

I have been trying to think of some ideas to take care of this problem.
I took this idea from mo's class room and changed it a little. I made each kid an envelope with their name on it. They each get 3 colored cards. When they misbehave, I warn them that I will pull a card if they don't stop.
When all cards are gone they must hand over a beloved webkinz. We discussed the punishment before hand and the webkinz seem to be their most prize posessions. Each sunday they get to start over. It's a 3 strikes you're out sort of deal.

It already seems to work, yet I find myself saying, "I'll pull a card!" many times.
The kids are very concerned about losing any cards at all. Both the older kids have already lost one each. (I started yesterday) Though, Ella is not quite grasping the idea. She thinks pulling a card is a good thing. Its more for the older kids anyway.
If anyone else has some suggestions in this department, I would love to hear. I feel I need all the help I can get.

7 comments:

Nancy Campbell Allen said...

I pulled many cards as a teacher, Amy. It's a great idea, and if you stay consistent with it and be willing to actually take the webkinz, you'll be good to go. Shouldn't take more than once or twice.

Good luck! All I have to do is threaten to take my daughters' phones.

Unknown said...

Such a good idea. I love getting ideas to use for my kids. I need all the help I can get :)

Unknown said...

Remeber to add a paositive reward at the end of the week also for not having all the cards pulled. Sometimes the positive out ways the negative and they will want the reward. Prize at the dollar store usually works well.

Amy said...

thanks lydia. I love that idea!!!

Jewels said...

I have found lots of screaming, yelling, slaming doors and crying works best for me. No really, your idea sounds like a really good idea put to good use. I am one that will just say I will throw things in the garbage if something isn't done or they don't get to play games if they are whining or fighting. Be consistent.

Jewels said...

I think you just have to re-post the giving post just once. Then you won't need to give away ten things.

Naytron said...

I'm gonna comment on this post and not your new post, because i dont want to repost that on my blog! because i'm selfish!

Free Web Counters
"Love is the answer at least for most of the questions in my heart. Like why are we here, where do we go, and how come it's so hard." -Jack Johnson