Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Agnes Caldwell Southworth

Sunday my family and I went with my mom to Brigham to visit the cemeteries for Memorial day. Its been a tradition every year since I can remember. My grandparents on my mom's side are buried there. Very close to them is my great, great, grandma Agnes Caldwell. She crossed the plains to come to Utah when she was only 9 years old. I still marvel at what they went through for their beliefs, more so the older I get. I don't think I could have done it. I love that I come from a line of strong women. Agnes' mother came across as a single mom and her children were blessed by her careful planning.
I wonder about the simple things we inherit from our mothers and wonder how far some traits have been passed down. I wonder if I do somethings like Agnes did. After all its only 5 generations.
Here is her story below written in her own words, I never tire of reading it. I cherish this story and realize more now why journal keeping and family history is so important.



Just before we crossed the mountains, relief wagons reached us, and it certainly was a relief. The infirm and aged were allowed to ride, all able-bodied continuing to walk. When the wagons started out, a number of us children decided to see how long we could keep up with the wagons, in hopes of being asked to ride. At least that is what my great hope was. One by one they all fell out, until I was the last one remaining, so determined was I that I should get a ride. After what seemed the longest run I ever made before or since, the driver, who was Heber [William Henry] Kimball, called to me, "Say, sissy, would you like a ride?" I answered in my very best manner, "Yes sir." At this he reached over, taking my hand, clucking to his horses to make me run, with legs that seemed to me could run no farther. On we went, to what to me seemed miles. What went through my head at that time was that he was the meanest man that ever lived or that I had ever heard of, and other things that would not be a credit nor would it look well coming from one so young. Just at what seemed the breaking point, he stopped. Taking a blanket, he wrapped me up and lay me in the bottom of the wagon, warm and comfortable. Here I had time to change my mind, as I surely did, knowing full well by doing this he saved me from freezing when taken into the wagon.

5 comments:

Valerie said...

Thank you for sharing. What a great story.

Camille said...

I really like that story! Thanks

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Amy said...

It is no surprise that you come from a long line of strong women. What a neat story about Agnes.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Free Web Counters
"Love is the answer at least for most of the questions in my heart. Like why are we here, where do we go, and how come it's so hard." -Jack Johnson